Internships & Careers
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Every summer Mote Marine Laboratory (MML) will host a 10-week, National Science Foundation-funded program focused on providing research experiences in estuarine science to 10 advanced undergraduate students. Students will be paired with MML scientists and conduct research on major threats to estuaries such as aquatic pollution, natural toxins, habitat alteration, and coral reef declline. Students will gain experience in science communication by presenting the results of their independent project in a manuscript-style research paper and orally at a laboratory-wide research symposium. Students will also attend research seminars, discusssion groups on career skills in science, and field trips to local marine science research and education center.
To be eligible for participation in the REU program, students must be:
- U.S. Citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. or its possessions
- Enrolled in a degree program (part-time or full-time) leading to a baccalaureate degree.
- Possess a minimum grade point average of 3.0
- Have completed 2 or more years of academic study
- Make efforts to receive academic credit for participation in the REU program.
TRAVEL, STIPENDS, AND HOUSING
Students participating in the REU program will receive:
- Stipend over the 10-week period (Summer '05 to receive $3,500)
- Housing in a local dormitory
- Round-trip transportation between MML and their home institution
Students interested in applying to MML's REU program can acquire information on the application procedure from the program website (http://www.mote.org/~jimg/reu.htm) or from Dr. Jim Gelsleichter via email (REU@mote.org). The deadline for applications if February 15, 2005.
MML is an independent, nonprofit organization with a ~50-year history in marine science research and education. MML is located in Sarasota, Florida, on a 12-acre campus overlooking Sarasota Bay, with direct access to the Gulf of Mexico. For additional information about MML, visit http://www.mote.org.
Dr. Jim Gelsleichter
Mote Marine Laboratory
1600 Ken Thompson Parkway
Sarasota, FL. 34236
Phone: (941) 388-4441,
Fax: (941) 388-4312
Internship information: http://www.mote.org/~jimg/reu.htm
This internship is listed under the following headings: Biological Sciences and Zoos, Aquaria and Marine Mammals
Last modified January 14 2005 01:49 PM