§ 143.101. Definition
In this subchapter, "highway" means a U.S. highway or a state highway in this state, but does not include a numbered farm-to-market road. The term includes the portion of Recreation Road Number 255 that is located in Newton County between State Highway Number 87 and the boundary line with Jasper County.
143.102. Running at Large on Highway Prohibited
A person who owns or has responsibility for the control of
a horse, mule, donkey, cow, bull, steer, hog, sheep, or goat may not knowingly
permit the animal to traverse or roam at large, unattended, on the right-of-way
of a highway.
§ 143.103. Immunity From Liability
A person whose vehicle strikes, kills, injures, or damages an unattended animal running at large on a highway is not liable for damages to the animal except as a finding of:
(1) gross negligence in the operation of the vehicle; or
(2) wilful intent to strike, kill, injure, or damage the animal.
§ 143.104. Herding of Livestock Along Highway
This subchapter does not prevent the movement of livestock from one location to another by herding, leading, or driving the livestock on, along, or across a highway.
161.142. Sale or Movement of Animal With Glanders
(a) A person commits an offense if the person:
(1) wilfully fails or refuses to place in secure confinement apart from all other livestock an animal of the horse or ass species that is diseased with glanders and is owned by that person or subject to that person's control;
(2) sells, trades, or offers to sell or trade an animal of the horse or ass species that the person knows or suspects to be diseased with glanders;
(3) drives, leads, or rides along or across a public highway an animal that the person knows is diseased with glanders; or
(4) permits an animal that the person knows is diseased with glanders to run at large on the open range.
(b) An offense under this section is a Class B misdemeanor.
Deleted by Acts 1989, 71st Leg., ch. 836, § 27, eff. Sept. 1, 1989.
Reviewed by AAHS in May 2003.
Return to Top of This Page
Return to Riding on Public Roads Page