Animal Science Majors Student Handbook
What to Expect:
It is our goal to provide each and every student with high quality academic advising. An advisor is available to provide you with course selection information, advice about majors, advice about career opportunities, internships and mentoring. The relationship between you and your faculty advisor is of central importance to the supportive atmosphere of the department. This relationship can establish a strong connection for future professional references and links to potential job opportunities. We strongly encourage you to utilize your advisors. It is your responsibility to communicate regularly with your advisor to obtain assistance in clarifying and meeting educational and professional goals.
The best way to contact your advisor is by phone or e-mail. View the list of all Animal Science advisors, with telephone numbers, office locations and e-mail addresses. We strongly encourage students to provide their advisor with their e-mail address.
The advisor that meets with a student during New Student Orientation is not necessarily that student's permanently assigned advisor. Your permanent advisor is listed on the introductory letter that is sent to you in August. Also, once you have a student ID number, you can access the name of your advisor through the registrar's page on the web (you must also have a PIN number). This can be done by the following procedure:
- On the registrar's page find "Student Information Access" (not the student SIS registration site) and click on it
- Enter your ID and PIN numbers where indicated
- Click the "Authenticate" box
- On the menu that appears on the screen, click on "General Academic Data" (the first in the list)
- Your advisor assignment should appear in the list of information that appears
- If it says "No Advisor Assigned", please contact Helen Maciejewski at Helen.Maciejewski@uvm.edu (656-0155) immediately to get an advisor assignment
Work together with your advisor to establish a mutually agreeable relationship. Sometimes a particular student and faculty member are not compatible, or circumstances indicate that your situation needs a change. If this is the case, please contact Helen Maciejewski in 102 Terrill Hall and she will work with you to make another advisor assignment.
Last modified September 09 2005 08:58 AM