University of Vermont

Department of Animal and Veterinary Sciences (ASCI)


The building and laboratories are accessed using your UVM ID (CAT Card).  It will be activated by the CAT Card office.  Be certain you do not use your card  to admit someone to a space if they are not entitled to have access to that space.  Lock your laboratories, classrooms, teaching laboratories, and offices and close all windows before you leave the building.  When using common rooms, be sure to lock them after you finish.  

Generally, personal computers are available to students in their advisors' laboratories and/or in the Graduate Student Offices in 203 Terrill Hall.  In addition, a number of laboratories (in the basement of Waterman Bldg,  Morrill Hall, Bailey-Howe Library, and the Given Medical library) have computers (their use determined by the laboratory director.)  Graduate students can sign up for free email accounts by going to Academic Computing in the Waterman Building. (Contact Ellen Nims, 656-2006)  Also, free mini courses are offered by Academic Computing to assist you in computer use, statistical analysis, word processing and graphics.  Take advantage of these courses.
UVM CATcard is your University I.D. and it also provides the following:

  • pre-paid debit retail sales at campus stores/restaurants
  • controlled access to buildings and facilities
  • controlled access to services and activities
  • self-inquiry and identification
  • library card
  • accepted at many area shops and restaurants

The CATcard Service Center is located in the 1st floor of the Davis Center.  The office is open from 9-4:00 Monday-Friday during the academic year. The phone number is 656-4509.

Driving Certification
The University has regulations concerning students driving UVM vehicles for class trips.  If you are going to drive a UVM vehicle for a class trip, you need to submit a copy of your insurance card to Risk Management.  In addition, you must participate in the Risk Management Driver's Training program PRIOR to any driving.  It is NOT recommended that you drive your own vehicle for University events because your own insurance will be liable for any accidents or injuries that may result. To enroll in the program contact Risk Management (656-3242). A copy of the UVM Driver Safety Rules are available at Risk Management and are listed below:

  1. All accidents must be reported immediately to the responding police department and supervisor. If accident occurs on campus, UVM Police Services must also be notified.  Risk Management must be contacted if any damages or injuries result.
  2. Available safety belt shall be used by all occupants traveling either in a vehicle owned, leased or rented by UVM, or private vehicles while on University business.
  3. Drinking, possession of intoxicating liquor, illegal drugs in vehicles or driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is prohibited.
  4. Driver must be in possession of a valid driver’s license at all times when operating a UVM vehicle.
  5. Horseplay or fighting of any kind is prohibited while driving a vehicle.
  6. Driver shall observe all rules and regulations for safe driving as defined by the State of Vermont Motor Vehicle Department.
  7. Driver shall be affiliated with the University of Vermont in the capacity of student, staff or faculty and shall use vehicle only for authorized University related activities. 

Fire Safety Workshops
Fire safety is an important issue for anyone working in a lab.  Risk Management will provide an annual fire safety workshop for the Department or for specific labs. Be sure to request proper training from your advisor.

Chemical Right to Know and Chemical Safety
Lab safety (in research or teaching labs) requires an understanding of safety and health administration regulations (OSHA).  Information about all chemicals in a lab must be readily available to all users of that lab. All labs should have a clear set of rules of procedures and conduct for general situations and also for each specific circumstance. It is the responsibility of a person conducting a teaching lab to convey these attitudes and rules to students under his/her supervision. In research labs this responsibility resides with the person who supervises the lab and also with independent investigators who work in that facility.

Food on Campus:
If you want to grab a bite to eat on campus there are several locations available.  The Atrium Dining Hall in Given serves both breakfast and lunch including a self-serve salad bar. The Cyber Cafe, located in Bailey/Howe Library, is a gourmet coffee house with a complete selection of salads, sandwiches, muffins, and cookies.  Located in the Waterman Building off South Prospect Street, Waterman Cafe offers express breakfast and lunch options while at Waterman Manor you can enjoy an a la carte menu with waited service. The Davis Student Center includes many wonderful places to eat such as The Marketplace, a global bazaar featuring the authentic flavors of India, Japan, and the Mediterranean, as well as classic American favorites with an international flair; Brennan's Pub, a fun laid back gathering place; New World Tortilla, a popular local eatery featuring burritos, tacos and specialty wraps; and everyone's favorite ice cream shop, Ben & Jerry's. One of the more popular eating spots on sunny days is located along the campus green on University Place where there are 5-6 vendor trucks serving a variety of fare.

Graduate Office/Mail/Photocopies:
The ASCI Department's graduate office is located in 203 Terrill. 

The main department photocopy machine is located in 106 Terrill. You will need an access number to use this machine.  Access numbers are assigned to various departmental budgets (depending on the nature of the information you are copying). If the data is research related, you would use your advisor's  research access number; if it is related to the class that you are TAing, you would use the teaching access number. Your advisor will tell you what access numbers to use. It is important to keep these numbers confidential, because the copying charges are linked back to particular budgets.

There is a community graduate student mailbox also located in 106 Terrill.  Your address is: (Name), UVM Department of Animal and Veterinary Sciences, 203 Terrill Bldg., 570 Main Street; Burlington, VT
Libraries are located in several places on campus, including a Departmental one in 107 Terrill.  The two main libraries are Bailey Howe Library, located in the center of campus, and Dana Medical Library, located in the Given Building.
You need a special bar code on your temporary I.D. to activate borrowing privileges, otherwise you will use your CAT Card, to borrow books and make copies.  You may want to sign up for lessons on how to conduct reference searches on Medline or BRS Colleague programming. Medline, PubMed and most other reference searches can be done by remote access from any computer connected to the Internet.

The University of Vermont libraries provide an important literature resource.  Journals that are primarily biological, environmental or evolutionary tend to be found in the Bailey-Howe Library, while journals which are primarily physiological, biochemical, or cellular are more likely to be found in the Dana (Medical) Library.  Both libraries have copying facilities and are quite prompt in processing interlibrary loans for material not at UVM.  There are free computer search facilities at both libraries.

UVM Campus Book Store
The campus book store is located in the Davis Center with textbooks on the second floor and retail sales on the third floor.

Spear Street Farm
The University Farm is located at 500 Spear St., about 1/2 mile away from East campus.  The complex houses the CREAM dairy herd, the UVM horse barn, the Nutrition lab, as well as animals for livestock classes.  You can always find cows, calves and horses there!

Computer Discussion Lists:
The Graduate College has a discussion list with useful and informative information relative to all grad students.  The electronic mail address is: GRADNET@LIST.UVM.EDU.  Contact the Graduate College to be added to the distribution list.
International students--  "Tips" on Activities
Throughout a semester, the Office of International Education organizes activities. To name a few of the more exciting ones....hiking, skiing, bowling, pumpkin carving for Halloween, Thanksgiving dinner, trips to Montreal, Boston and New York, screening of famous international movies and many more. The International office is located at L/L Center, room # B-161, phone # (802) 656 4296.  Check out their website for a calendar of International Student Events and other valuable information

Montreal is approximately two hour's drive north of Burlington. International students might not want to miss the chance to visit Montreal since it is so near and there is much to see. To get a Canadian visa, complete the Canadian visa application form available at the International Office, and request a supporting letter from the International Office. You can apply for either a single entry or multiple entry type of visa. The processing and visa fee for single entry type is US$41/ and for multiple entries type is US$61/. Multiple entry type of visa is valid for a full year. You will want to send the visa application, fee and passport by certified mail.  It will be processed in 5 working days and you can expect the passport with visa in 10 days. Enjoy!!

Return to Graduate Student Handbook

Last modified January 13 2016 12:47 PM

Contact UVM © 2017 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131